Mentors, before moving on to Phase 1 you’ll first need to complete our orientation. Over the course of the orientation you’ll get a much better understanding of how to live a healthier, happier, more purpose driven life. Orientation is where our prospective mentors receive training on how to be an effective leader and use their life experiences to guide our youth into adulthood, all while they learn more about themselves and community.
Over the course of Phase 1 our mentors and youth will work, play, learn and grow in all aspects of their life. Each day will be designated to learning about a different aspect of wellness, leadership or resiliency to ensure we hit on every facet of leading a long, healthful, purpose-driven life. Although attendance in the program is voluntary we ask that those who commit to attending do so or they may be removed to make room for another veteran or youth.
These 5 Steps will form the majority of our program, consisting of workouts, classroom time, community engagement experiences, field trips and more.
- Self-care– Take back your health. Before you can lead, you must first be able to take care of yourself. Set goals to eat healthier, workout and meditate, sleep well and perform at your best. Look good, and feel good doing it, whatever “it” is.
- Leadership Development- Read a book. Take a class. Build upon your strengths to become the best version of yourself. Think outside the box and any chance you have to build your character, or your resume, take it.
- Community Exploration- Take ownership. Set the intention to be a positive role model in your community. Pick up trash, help a neighbor with groceries, be the first to say “hey.” Get involved and make some new friends along the way.
- Give Back- Someone needs you. Whether it’s a little boy in need of a mentor or sweet old lady in need of a hug, time is money, and there’s nothing more valuable than helping someone get back on their feet. Not only are these experiences incredibly rewarding, they offer the young leader the chance to be exposed to all sorts of different types of people and experiences that challenge social norms, breaking down their barriers. Make the choice to give back, and see what you gain in return.
- Create Your Own- Find your next mission. Fortunately, the American Dream isn’t a one size fits all. Take what you’ve learned and continue to grow. Calm, Fit, Complete provides some of the necessary tools and resources for mission success but, ultimately, you’re in charge of your own destiny. Take charge, take action and continue to grow. Now, go change the world!
Veterans, as required to be a mentor, many of you have jobs and/or school and may not be able to attend every class. The classes are tailored to benefit both you and the youth. More so, in order to build a relationship with other members, and your future mentee, and benefit from all the program has to offer, we ask that you commit to attending at least 1 day per week through the duration of Phase 1. Your skills, experience, input and attendance is vital to a successful program. Keep in mind that these kids are counting on you.
Families, in order to ensure kids take away the most from the program it’s imperative they miss as few classes as possible. Although we understand the fact that “life happens,” we ask you give us a heads up so we can better tailor each lesson to the number of students attending. Upon graduation, each veteran and youth will be paired with a person of their choice to continue on to phase 2.